Study reveals that indoor air contains 5 times more pollutants than outdoor air, which means that indoor air is more dangerous. The indoor air quality in your home, your office etc can affect your health and also your loved ones health.
Today, in this article, we are going to discuss what factors are responsible for air pollutants and what remedies should be taken to improve the Indoor air quality. (IAQ)
An average human spends 90% of his time indoors i.e. at work, at home etc. This is very unhealthy because as mentioned earlier, concentration of pollutants in indoor air is more than outdoors and exposure to poor air quality may increase the health risks. It can reduce your productivity by 8 to 10%.
Factors responsible for degrading air quality
Equipment can badly affect air quality.
- In offices, equipment like, lighting UV rays, photocopiers, printers etc can degrade the quality of air.
- In Hotel and restaurants: Refrigerators, grills, stoves etc.
- Cleaning chemicals, lubricants, Synthetic fibres etc.
Apart from this, a large amount of pollutants are added to air by human activities.
What steps should be taken to improve the Indoor air quality (IAQ)?
The indoor air contains pollutants like Pet dander, radon, Formaldehyde, pollens etc. Such pollutants are major health concern especially for people having asthma and allergy problems. By controlling these pollutants, you can improve the indoor environment quality which will reduce the health risks. Now how to do that?
Installing HVAC systems and air purifiers
HVAC systems are the best way to improve the quality of indoor air. Yes, they’re very effective, as they reduce the concentration of pollutants at your place and purify the air. This is done by filter. Filter efficiently removes harmful pollutants from the air stream that passes through it and thus improves the air quality.
Generally, air odours are not as serious as harmful pollutants, germs, bacteria etc, but odour below the normal level can be harmful. Installing Air purifier will get rid of unwanted smell.
As mentioned, Filter captures the pollutants. Thus, after years of service, clogged and dirty filter will block the normal air flow and reduce the system efficiently. Maintenance should be done to improve the efficiency and life span of your system.
- Clean the filter regularly.
- Regular service should be done.
- Replace the parts like filters (if needed).
You should hire a professional service. A skilled technician will find and repair the problems in your HVAC systems.
When the time comes for replacing the filter, you must know that not all filters are created equal. So, you should be little careful while picking the right filter.
- It should be capable of filtering 95% of particles from the air.
- It should trap particle of size 0.3 micron.
- Check reviews and ratings of the filters. When we compared the ratings of several companies, we found that high quality and high efficient air filters like Voltas are capable of trapping particles of 0.1 microns in size.
Not least of all, it’s also important to control the humidity level of the air. So, improve air quality with these tips at your home and stay safe.